Monday, April 1, 2013

Good News and Bad

Believe it or not, my spring break was a magical adventure in music and education, and I learned much about the structure of the human emotions, and in turn much about myself as a person, as a student, as a musician, and as a thinking being.
But seriously, I did make progress on this project, as opposed to playing Skyrim for 216 straight hours. Given, I did play a lot of Skyrim. Anyway, I learned a few things in the process of doing this project over spring break, be they good things or bad.
To start with the good news: I'm a lot better at guitar than I thought previously. This is due to my purchasing some shiny new .008 gauge strings. For those of you who do not play guitar, those are very skinny strings. I didn't play guitar too much before the project, but now I've begun to play it more out of necessity. I wrote most of the music used in the project on guitar. So, I learned the major scale and learned basic chords, but I wasn't too good. At this point, I had started to get the swing of the guitar, and started to be able to know what sounds good with what. This is most likely due to my prior education in piano and music theory, which is the difficult part of music. Now that I know music theory, I can pick up other instruments much easier. However, I really got better once  replaced the strings. These are much easier to push down, which lets me do barre chords, tapping, hammer-ons, and everything else much easier. That's the good thing.
Now for the bad news.
I was recording vocals for our cover of Beck's Sea Change (beautiful song, you can listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9i6Bu4knEM) by singing along to the track and just recording my voice. So, after I finished that take, I listened to it, and it was bad. So, I figured it was just a one-off thing, and I tried again. No change.
I cannot sing for #$%^.
Seriously, if I had to sing on the street for my living, I'd be starving. That or I'd make money from people thinking I'm a comedy act. This deflated me very thoroughly, and I was very sad about my lack of vocal proficiency. I guess I should just stick to what I'm good at, and not take those things for granted. So, overall, spring break was fairly productive for me. I spent time on my project and got stuff done. That and I played a lot of Skyrim. I like Skyrim.

1 comment:

  1. Owen,
    It feels odd to be commenting on your blog because I feel like daily I get an extended blog post on your updates from you seeing as how we are doing this project together. BUT, it is nice to finally comment on your blog as it is incredibly amusing and funny. You should talk more about our planning for the Ted Talk tomorrow though.
    Either way, I sure do hope you and your World's coolest partner do well in the presentation tomorrow.
    And by the way... we recorded three songs all the way through! Who are the coolest musicians in the world????????

    Us.


    ~~Max

    ReplyDelete