Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Recording is About to Begin... The Skies Darken, Thunder Crashes, and Babies Pour From the Clouds

Recording. Yeah, Recording is not gonna be easy. We have a low quality recording device that only really lets us record one track at a time, so we'll have to dub each individual track over the prior one, which can lead to some serious synchronization issues. We'll have to use and obey a metronome in order to stay in time and not sound horrible. So, I'm reeeeally pissed off at my associate here - he's going to Florida over spring break. Florida.Not Pennsylvania, where we can record - Florida, where he can screw around in the sand, and have hot fun in the hot hot sun. The selfish little punk is gonna leave me to record for the second week. So, this week is gonna be stuffed with recording sessions - on Tuesday and Thursday, we'll literally go from 3 - 9 PM recording and recording and recording. Getting into specifics, we're gonna record rhythm guitar tracks first, then drums, then lead guitar, vocals, and other instruments. I'm gonna record keyboard tracks when stupid is in Florida, because those aren't completely necessary. Keyboards, in this album, are mostly for fleshing out the sound and providing more chord support, which strengthens the sound of the song itself by adding to the army of instruments. To answer a question I got from John in detail, we aren't using a studio. I bought a Lexicon Alpha recording hub, which has a USB hub, an instrument jack, and a microphone jack. This brings me to another problem - micing the drums. Drums are an annoying instrument to record, because most of the time, they've got over 5 different components that need to be recorded at once. The best way to do this is to use a separate microphone for each one, but we've got one microphone, and that's it. So, the recording of my drumkit will be through one microphone, which may or may not sound a bit... muddy. Moving on from that, I've been reading up on the internet about songwriting and song structure, and I've learned a lot about the moods that different chord progressions set. I, I, II, I sets an angry, agitated tone, I, IV, V, IV sets a cheery tone, and I, IV, VI, IV sets a more melancholy tone. I've also been reading up on the emotions that are communicated by different chords. Read here: http://music.stackexchange.com/questions/4974/what-are-the-feelings-emotions-behind-chords


3 comments:

  1. Hi Owen, first thing I would like to point out is that the title to this post was amazing. I always hate it when babies start to pour from the clouds, but what are you going to do. Also, I'm going to defend your partner here and say that from you have described with the recording you don't need him. If you can only record on instrument at a time, does it really matter where you are recording?
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the issue of Max having to leave, as collaboration is going to be much more difficult, and not being able to ask a second opinion, or making sure what you have to be sure to do has been roadblocked. There is also social networking and such to keep you guys in touch. The recording could hopefully be more easy than you thought though (the LQ mic does sound irritating though). Hopefully I can get my project done fast though for your album cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Owen, in addition to sharing my distaste for baby cloud-pouring, I'm also curious about the question Chris had asked. I suppose that the acoustic qualities of each recording location might not mesh well with each other, but I would like to know the specifics of why you need to record in one location. Also, with Max gone over spring break, will you guys be able to finish in time?

    ReplyDelete